JOINT MEETING OF MINISTERS RESPONSIBLE FOR BOUNDARY ISSUES FOR TANZANIA AND MALAWI, 27TH -28TH JULY, 2012 DAR ES SALAAM, TANZANIA
1. Following the invitation of the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania, to the Republic of Malawi, a Joint Meeting of Ministers responsible for Boundary issues in the two countries took place in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, from 27 to 28 July, 2012.
2. The purpose of the Meeting was to revive the stalled negotiations on the delineation, demarcation, delimitation and re-affirmation of the boundary between Tanzania and Malawi on the Lake, and to set a roadmap and program of implementation for the boundary program. The Tanzania delegation was led by Hon. Bernard Kamillius Membe (MP), Minister for Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation. The Malawi delegation was led by Honourable Ephraim Mganda Chiume, M.P., Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the Republic of Malawi.
3. The two countries stressed on the importance of resolving the issue of their boundary on the Lake diplomatically.
4. The Ministers approved the roadmap and implementation program for the negotiations on the boundary issue.
5. The Ministers agreed that the Joint Team of Experts, the Joint Committee of Officials, and the Council of Ministers on the Malawi/Tanzania boundary meet in Mzuzu in the week commencing 20th August, 2012, for further negotiations on the issue.
Issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and international Cooperation,
Dar es Salaam
28th July 2012